Tuesday 14 June 2011

From hobo to chief: My GTi story

I wouldn't say I'm a fanatic but I do like cars and I've always cared about the type of car I drive. Just ask my parents what kind of hell I put them through around my 18th birthday!

After spending three glorious months in California, I was as excited as ever to return home for no other reason than to become a bona fide adult. Not only would I officially be allowed to do all the things I had been doing illegally anyway but it was time to get my license and car and be free.

The car I had my sights on at the time was a Golf 4 GTi. It was the kind of car you made love to outside on a cold, winter's evening. It was so awesome, you started licking your left earlobe every time you thought of owning one without realizing it. This was the car for me. Problem was, it cost the same as a small island and I didn't really have a job.

In the end, I didn't get it despite groaning like a nun in a cucumber field. A compromise was however reached and it was decided that I could get a Golf 4 1.6L Comfortline with a few extras but I had to work for my father and pay half while the other half was my birthday present. Deciding that beggars can't be choosers, I gladly accepted their terms and drove out the showroom with the biggest smile on my face. That car, although no GTi, was amazing and I'll never forget the blue instrumentation, its heated seats or its ability to attract many an older woman.

After four years of loyal service, I set my sights on a Polo 1.9TDi Sportline with all the extras. I had wanted to buy a Golf 5 GTi  but it was just above my price range since I was planning on buying a house in the near future and I knew the extra money was better spent there.

Although some may have thought I was stepping down in class (Polo vs. Golf), my TDi was definitely a step in the right direction (even without heated seats). Way faster than my sluggish Golf, my TDi was also insanely economical. All it needed was the tears of three baby Jews and my TDi could take Woody and Buzz Lightyear to infinity and beyond on a single tank.

Unfortunately, the timing of owning this car also coincided with "enjoying my youth". Besides a few unlucky accidents which weren't my fault, my car ultimately had its day after crashing into an island while coming home from a party I had organized. I'd be lying if I said that was it. A few months before that, I was on my way home from a friend's house while highly intoxicated and texting on my phone at the same time; a sure recipe to ruin one's life. Cars don't fare that well against big rocks and while I got the car fixed, it was never quite the same. A month after getting it back, the car screeched to a halt in smoke and the final prognosis was a crack in the block of the engine. While this final incident was unlucky if viewed in isolation (I was simply driving at a normal speed on the highway when it happened), I had treated this poor car very badly for quite some time and it was time to go. Needless to say, Woody and Buzz still aren't talking to me!

Because the final fault was not caused by an accident, insurance would not pay out and I became a 27-year old hobo for about six months. I was paying for a car that I couldn't drive. My parents would lend me one of their cars when available but this meant I had to plan around their plans. My friends were amazing and I became unbelievably resourceful at getting around but there were times I still had to walk somewhere. Talk about eating humble pie.

Strangely enough, this "sit in the corner and think about what you've done" time was a blessing in disguise. Every time I had to walk somewhere, it would remind me how irresponsible and stupid I had been. The frustrating thing was I considered myself to be a good driver. I never had one accident with my old Golf. This was simply a case of stupidity and I was paying the price.

Depsite all this, 2011 has been a special year for me. Not having a car for that long taught me some major, long-lasting lessons and it made me more determined than ever to work really hard. What's scary is how quickly I reaped the benefits when putting my mind to it. Allow me to introduce to you my new white Golf 6 GTi DSG.

"Mark Sham is in a relationship with his white Golf 6 GTi DSG"
I can honestly say I haven't been so proud of owning something since I bought my house four years ago. I bought the car brand new and opted for a DSG gearbox as opposed to a manual gearbox. At first this was a difficult decision because I don't sit in traffic and the manual gearbox is heaps of fun and offers you maximum control but ultimately commonsense prevailed and DSG won. I also added the sun roof and xenon headlights. You don't appreciate how much better Xenons are until you drive with them at night.

VW are a little sneaky in that they offer you a "service plan" but not a maintenance plan. For this optional extra, you pay a cool R14k more. In light of my track record, I opted for the maintenance plan.

I also added the Dynaudio Excite sound system which comes with a cool color touchscreen interface (factory fitted). I've never been into big sound but it is nice to have. The entire system is designed specifically for the GTi interior and by doing it this way, there is no bulky subwoofer in my boot. I also added "Premium Bluetooth" preparation which means my entire phone book can be accessed from the touchscreen along with a few other cool features and integration. Owning a german car means everything is an extra and costs heaps of money. The upgraded sound system, radio interface and bluetooth prep cost a silly R20k extra but having had the car for just over two weeks, I believe it's well worth it.

I'm in love...
For so long, I admired the GTi but it was always just out of my grasp. It soon became a symbol of youthful success; something I had to have. As I stated in my last blog post entitled The good old days! Or the good old days?, my mentality has changed as I've gotten older but I'm proud of this achievement none the less. Did I mention that I have been reacquainted with heated seats again thanks to my GTi?

Then there's being able to do what I want again whenever I want. Most times, you really don't appreciate something until it gone. Six months is a long time for an adult to be without a car especially when you're used to being mobile and independent.

So what have I learned from all this and what am I going to do differently this time?

Drinking and driving is no longer an option. I've always always understood that it's dangerous and could result in my having a criminal record but when thinking about it over a long period of time, it really began to sink in that I could really hurt myself or someone else. In the past, I've said I'd stop before but I never had anything bad happen to me personally until the accident. When it's close to home, it changes things and makes you think.

Next is my love affair with texting while driving. Sadly, we've had to part ways. Much like a real life affair, this habit will only ever wreak havoc and leave me hopelessly alone and poor. Not such a biggie to give up compared to drinking and driving but as important none the less.

You might think this mentality will wear off as quickly as the car's novelty but I assure you, the sheer frustration I experienced in those six months is simply unforgettable. If anything, the lessons learned in this time extend far beyond cars. Life taught me a little lesson about humility and then rewarded me for learning.

Here's to many happy and safe miles in my GTi. Here's to memories; unforgettable memories. And finally, here's to living, learning and appreciating what I have without it being taken from me.

3 comments:

  1. Learn to write..This is terrible and boring .

    I imagine you been a 3 foot ginger trying to eat a ice cream with the wrapper still on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another exert from the life and times !! Golfs have a sneaky way of finding their way in your heart !! I wish I never opted for my renault ... But my frustration is not as a result of raver raver misbehavor but of dodgy east side service shops .. Rave safe shamboK ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. well written boi!!!! inspiring stuff!!

    ReplyDelete